Sunday, December 6, 2009

The Epilogue

Every good story has some sort of conflict and resolution. The story aspect of this blog just happened to progress rather precipitously.

The conflict: my attempt to correct cognitive dissonance by going on a truth-telling spree

The one side: I would be telling the truth, which is usually a good thing. Some people have an abnormal hatred of liars, and some of those people have guns. I don’t want to be shot, so therefore I should tell the truth. That's pretty flimsy logic, but people do hate liars.

The other side: My family would be largely hurt if they ever come across my blog or my book if it gets published. To spare their feelings would involve a little lying, but not to an excessive amount.
--

So what is the resolution? Why am I shutting down this particular blog?

At the climax of my story, I faced a decision to lie to my grandmother or to tell the truth and risk hurting her. As I got to that point, it was very obvious what I was going to do: I lied a little white lie.

I have revealed my big black lie already, so a little white lie here and there to spare grandma’s feelings won’t hurt. If you’re calling me a hypocrite or that I take the easy road, so be it. Families are held together by little white lies.

Apart from that, why am I stopping the posts about my life story as it pertains to family? Well, I can’t do it without losing control of my emotions and insulting my parents. And by withholding this part of my life, it is not lying; it is not even a lie of omission. It is simply a matter of selective privacy.

If I get into a serious relationship, I will discuss it openly and frankly. I will share my feelings and all that good stuff. And I will buy bags from French Luxury Houses, overly expensive kicks, and shiny trinkets. (Ladies, better get on the g-train quick before it leaves the terminal for good!).

Thank you to all my friends, especially my followers, who’ve been along for the ride. Please visit and follow my new blog LikeTheLetterG.blogspot.com. It promises to be more fun, less sad, with shorter posts and even some poetry. Better taste, fewer calories! Or as the cute drug rep says (while you’re imagining her in nothing but heels and black-rimmed glasses), 'by modifying one little functional group, we’ve made this drug 10x more effective.' Except I'm not lying!

On this little journey, I’ve figured out how to deal with the topic of my family and my life thus far. It has been truly enlightening for me. I hope you’ve learned a little bit about me, about who I really am. It’s been refreshing to be so honest, but some honesty can be a bit much, perhaps even bordering on indecent exposure. TMI, g. TMI.

Thank you and goodbye for now. See you at LikeTheLetterG.blogspot.com

-g

No comments:

Post a Comment